Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Riding The Wake Of Tragedy

I don't usually post about current events but since they seem to be consuming my life the last few days I thought it would be ok.

When I first got into photography one of my very first gigs was as a photojournalist for a small paper, since then I've done some here and there on the side. Mostly because Joe is a reporter and I somehow get sucked into little assignments here and there.

As you may have guessed the journalism community has converged upon Tucson the last few days to cover the shooting and the aftermath of a city in mourning. Joey asked me to take few pictures here and there for a couple articles they will be running and I thought I'd share some of the images I've gotten so far:

This is the Safeway where the shooting took place, we used to live across the street before we moved into the house we are in now and this is where Joey and I had our very first grocery shopping trip together as a married couple... the whole thing is surreal...


There are still mass amounts of media camped out in the parking lot broadcasting non-stop it seems...





This is image is one of my favorites, all the stores around the scene are open for business again but all you see are the employees peering out of windows in sceilence and watching the FBI agents at work... we are all just in shock still...

Yesterday it seems like they were in their finishing stages of gathering evidence as they started to remove some of the caution tape.



After I had gotten a few images at the scene I decided to drive by the school the little 9 year old girl, Christina Green, who was killed in the shooting attended. This is the part that broke my heart. I pulled up to find mass amounts of students and parents constructing a tribute to Christina on the school fence tying up ribbons and making posters for her... If the images look a tad grainy that's because the sun had already set by the time I got there and I was basically taking pictures in the pitch dark...





I chatted for a bit with these three girl's mothers and all three of them were in Christina's 3rd grade class with her...









The whole thing is just surreal and heartbreaking.... I'll post up any more images if I take any later this week...

4 comments:

Lynn Dao Photography 3:06 PM  

So so sad. Thanks for sharing Kadie. I think your pictures of the memorial set up at the school hit me so much more than anything I've seen on TV.

Mark Eric 4:36 PM  

Heartbreaking. Thanks for giving us a glimpse Kadie- may God be with the families of those affected by this tragedy.

Kate 4:45 PM  

beautiful and powerful. well done, kadie.

Lupita Ramirez 1:22 PM  

Lovely images Kadie!

Facebook Badge

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP